What I'm thinking about lately:
I made a purse from left over blocks of previous quilts.
The process reminded me of what it takes to "make" a life:
a. Choosing the fabric - To create this purse, I only used left over scraps and thread, recycling forgotten-about pieces that were destined to lie in the scrap box. The colors in my stash were similar, but not exactly the same. I had to choose fabric that was "close." This process reminded me that some of my friends are exactly like I am. . . and some are vastly different. Some friends I get along with at work, and some friends I get along with at play. Some friends we travel with, and some friends we live near and see often. Each friend has a distinct personality - sparkling, witty, droll, or gentle -- and I'm thrilled to have them in my life. When colors don't quiiiite match, it reminds me that my friends are not exactly the same as I am -- thus the spice of life! This week in the news there have been some tragic killings, terrorist acts, and targeting of police officers. I can't help but think that if we could understand the lives behind the news, we would get a picture of how vastly different, yet closely related we are as humans. Though different in color and texture, the fabric of our lives aren't that different in our need for love, acceptance, and safety.
b. Constructing the inner lining - This pattern calls for an inter-changeable middle that you swap outer shells around for different occasions. It reminds me that we need to be flexible to wear many hats in life. Currently, I'm a wife, mom, Mamaw, boss, sister, aunt, teacher, combatant, and friend. These are the outer coverings of who I am, but I must take time for the inner lining. Things like my spiritual walk with Jesus Christ need care and attention. What I understand about the Word of God shows me that He wants a relationship with me. This springs from the inside to the outside. My relationship with Him is the inner lining, the part of me that holds all of my various roles together. In His peace my outer covering is greatly effected. His love holds me together, provides a stable rock to build my foundation on, and gives me the acceptance and care I crave.
c. Caring for the outside fabric - As you can see, there is quite a bit of light fabric on this purse. In fact, when I made this quilt for my niece's wedding the light fabric caught my eye. I love the simplicity and sweetness of light colors. However, purses need to be able to handle various places on which to perch - floors, seats, shelves, etc. There is no guarantee that the perches will be clean. This reminds me that my inner self is protected by this shell called a body. (or earth-suit, as Randy Alcorn says). This body needs to be tough and healthy enough to withstand environmental stresses, yet remain soft enough to live in. Sometimes I need to "scotch-guard" my body to resist injuries and sickness. I need to exercise, eat and sleep well, and take medicines to continue my body in health. I am also reminded of a phrase that someone used to describe a former Dean - like an iron fist in a velvet glove.
d. Completing the purse - I bought the pattern for this purse at least two weeks before I completed it. I couldn't find the energy to work on any sewing while dealing with some health issues. When I finally completed it, I was amazed at how easy it was! I am reminded that sometimes the "hard" things in life are only hard when we delay doing them. School was like that for me sometimes. I resisted my last degree for years, until my sweet mom patted my leg and asked, "Susan, do you want to be 4 years older, or do you want to be 4 years older with your Ph. D.?" I was struck by her wisdom, and enrolled shortly after.
So, the process of creating this purse reminds me that life is much like a journey -- choosing friends along the way, building up the inner person, caring for the outer person, and completing the tasks we find in front of us. None of these are earth-shattering, but all are important.
Happy quilting!
Susan
I made a purse from left over blocks of previous quilts.
The process reminded me of what it takes to "make" a life:
a. Choosing the fabric - To create this purse, I only used left over scraps and thread, recycling forgotten-about pieces that were destined to lie in the scrap box. The colors in my stash were similar, but not exactly the same. I had to choose fabric that was "close." This process reminded me that some of my friends are exactly like I am. . . and some are vastly different. Some friends I get along with at work, and some friends I get along with at play. Some friends we travel with, and some friends we live near and see often. Each friend has a distinct personality - sparkling, witty, droll, or gentle -- and I'm thrilled to have them in my life. When colors don't quiiiite match, it reminds me that my friends are not exactly the same as I am -- thus the spice of life! This week in the news there have been some tragic killings, terrorist acts, and targeting of police officers. I can't help but think that if we could understand the lives behind the news, we would get a picture of how vastly different, yet closely related we are as humans. Though different in color and texture, the fabric of our lives aren't that different in our need for love, acceptance, and safety.
b. Constructing the inner lining - This pattern calls for an inter-changeable middle that you swap outer shells around for different occasions. It reminds me that we need to be flexible to wear many hats in life. Currently, I'm a wife, mom, Mamaw, boss, sister, aunt, teacher, combatant, and friend. These are the outer coverings of who I am, but I must take time for the inner lining. Things like my spiritual walk with Jesus Christ need care and attention. What I understand about the Word of God shows me that He wants a relationship with me. This springs from the inside to the outside. My relationship with Him is the inner lining, the part of me that holds all of my various roles together. In His peace my outer covering is greatly effected. His love holds me together, provides a stable rock to build my foundation on, and gives me the acceptance and care I crave.
c. Caring for the outside fabric - As you can see, there is quite a bit of light fabric on this purse. In fact, when I made this quilt for my niece's wedding the light fabric caught my eye. I love the simplicity and sweetness of light colors. However, purses need to be able to handle various places on which to perch - floors, seats, shelves, etc. There is no guarantee that the perches will be clean. This reminds me that my inner self is protected by this shell called a body. (or earth-suit, as Randy Alcorn says). This body needs to be tough and healthy enough to withstand environmental stresses, yet remain soft enough to live in. Sometimes I need to "scotch-guard" my body to resist injuries and sickness. I need to exercise, eat and sleep well, and take medicines to continue my body in health. I am also reminded of a phrase that someone used to describe a former Dean - like an iron fist in a velvet glove.
d. Completing the purse - I bought the pattern for this purse at least two weeks before I completed it. I couldn't find the energy to work on any sewing while dealing with some health issues. When I finally completed it, I was amazed at how easy it was! I am reminded that sometimes the "hard" things in life are only hard when we delay doing them. School was like that for me sometimes. I resisted my last degree for years, until my sweet mom patted my leg and asked, "Susan, do you want to be 4 years older, or do you want to be 4 years older with your Ph. D.?" I was struck by her wisdom, and enrolled shortly after.
So, the process of creating this purse reminds me that life is much like a journey -- choosing friends along the way, building up the inner person, caring for the outer person, and completing the tasks we find in front of us. None of these are earth-shattering, but all are important.
Happy quilting!
Susan

No comments:
Post a Comment